Sender:panovrx
Date/Time:2012-Aug-25 11:09:16
Subject:Re: Black Magic raw video camera

PanoTools NG: Re: Black Magic raw video camera panovrx 2012-Aug-25 11:09:16
It looks like the Blackmagic Cinema Camera (BCC) will start shipping in the next week or two.

http://magazine.creativecow.net/article/is-the-new-blackmagic-cinema-cam...
 This article has interesting images showing the crop factor of the BCC with the 8-15mm Canon fisheye. (in the Crop Factor section about a quarter of the way down the page). He argues the crop factor varies from 1.2X to 2.5X as the lens is zoomed from 8mm to 15mm. And the equivalent focal lengths for a full frame camera are then 10mm to 37mm. If that analysis is correct that is a very useful range of full frame fisheye focal lengths. One issue with that lens for the BCC is that it only takes rear gelatine filters so standard glass ND filters can't be used. The BCC has a limited shutter speed range (1/25 to 1/180th I think) so this ND filter issue is a significant operational restriction for that lens on the BCC. It would be interesting maybe to test how much the resolution falls off as the lens is stopped right down.

If you want to see some DNG sequences from the camera you can download them here
http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15
(the links are the text line (zip file name) above the stills from the video).

The resolution of the camera for DNG output is 2432x1366. So you could shoot an indefinite number of 360 panoramas at say 2400 by 4800 without worrying about shutter life and still have the advantage of raw capture. So for timelapse etc it is interesting for panos I think . Also there are LANC controllers for it so stereo sync for stereo panoramas might be possible. But the physical size of the camera (a little larger overall than a 5D) precludes close range twin camera stereo pano capture (too large a minimum inter lens separation).

PeterM