Sender:Erik Krause
Date/Time:2014-Apr-15 18:47:05
Subject:Re: Stitching issues

PanoTools NG: Re: Stitching issues Erik Krause 2014-Apr-15 18:47:05
Am 15.04.2014 13:49, schrieb Mark Fink:
> ...with one exception - fisheye lenses. You can't increase your overlap
> because that affects the yaw, which, for reasons I still don't understand,
> will change your NPP. So, for rectilinear lenses, by all means shoot with
> extra overlap and calibrate your lens that way, but with fisheye lenses, you
> need to have your calibration set exactly match the way you will be shooting
> later on. Or am I completely off base here...?   :o)

You are perfectly right. BTW: The NPP shift is simply due to the optical
properties of the lens. If the entrance pupil wouldn't shift, 180?
fisheyes wouldn't be possible (not to speak about something like the
Nikon 5.4mm fisheye with 270? field of view).

If you point the lens with the rear side to a light source and look into
the front lens, you can see the entrance pupil shift.

Or you look at the very nice raytracing diagrams (including animations!)
on http://www.pierretoscani.com/echo_fisheyes_english.html

--
Erik Krause
http://www.erik-krause.de