Sender:Robert Lesac robert@...
Date/Time:2014-Jul-29 23:44:38
Subject:Re: Ultra-wide lens for full frame

PanoTools NG: Re: Ultra-wide lens for full frame Robert Lesac robert@... 2014-Jul-29 23:44:38
On 29.7.2014. 23:11, 'Keith Martin' #removed# [PanoToolsNG] wrote:
> On 29 Jul 2014, at 21:23, Robert Lesac #removed#
> [PanoToolsNG] wrote:
>
>  > Currently I use a D90 with a Tamron AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 SP Di II LD.
>  > The difference would be small, barely 12 deg VFOV in portrait mode.
>  >
>  > So that leaves me with fish-eye lens which are IIRC a pain to use (non
>  > fixed NPP).
>
> With a well-set head (or a lens-specific rotator) it's not the problem
> you're probably thinking. The majority of my stuff is shot with a Nikkor
> 10.5mm shaved fisheye, and I have very little trouble at all.

I currently use a NN5 + nadir adapter and is perfectly fine for my
current setup. Not quite template stitching good, but good enough.

> Or, if you have the budget, there's a lens that's been on my wish-list
> for a long time: the Nikkor 14-24 f2.8 ultra wide zoom. It's awesomely
> sharp ? as sharp as the best primes in this area. Ken Rockwell says
> that this lens "is sharper wide-open at 14mm in the far corners than my
> fixed 14mm f/2.8 is stopped down at f/5.6," and "devoid of any coma or
> softness at every aperture" from centre to corners. The bad news is that
> you'd be lucky to find it for under $1500/£900 second-hand. :-(

Ah the budget. Investing that much in a lens that won't make my workflow
any faster doesn't appeal much to me.
Faster pano acquisition is currently my main concern. Seems like a
shaved fish-eye is the way to go.

WRT paying premium for sharpness for panorama shooting is a bit of a
wash. Even with my very bad copy of Tamron, I can just stop down to F11,
apply a mask for the softer edges and shoot with enough overlap. On a
stitched pano no one can tell the difference. The beauty of synthetic
photography :)

Pano/VR/Gigapixel photography: http://robertlesac.com

Posted by: Robert Lesac <#removed#>