Sender:'Keith Martin' keith@...
Date/Time:2015-Feb-01 14:56:18
Subject:Re: DevalVR

PanoTools NG: Re: DevalVR 'Keith Martin' keith@... 2015-Feb-01 14:56:18
Hi Bill!

On 28 Jan 2015, at 21:49, Bill Ward #removed# [PanoToolsNG]
wrote:

> Its been a while since I posted anything on any forums, but I was just
> wondering about DevalVr standalone.

Good to hear from Fiero that DevalVR isn't dead, although was there ever
a Mac version?
The big issue for me (other than cross-platform support) is using
something that has a clear future and is under active development. I've
been caught out by software and format dead ends many times over the
last couple of decades! :)

Standalone delivery is a bit difficult to achieve today. Where we could
once provide a single QTVR .mov file, now we have fistfuls of folders
and files to handle. HTML is the underlying framework for practically
everything now, but some tricks don't work well or at all when run from
local files.

Is it possible to just go with online web-based publishing? It's much
easier now to publish pano online and provide web links for people to
follow. it's not quite the same as local/offline standalone delivery,
but Internet access is pretty much a given these days.

Alternatives you may want to consider...

I've had recent experimental success with panos in fixed-layout (FXL)
EPUB, which is essentially HTML/CSS/JavaScript wrapped up in a
formally-defined structure and read using standard e-reader apps. This
is still a bit of a challenge to do as the major publishing tools don't
(yet) provide easy ways to embed arbitrary custom HTML content.
- Adobe InDesign CC 2014.1 (interactive FXL EPUB)
- CircularFLO (InDesign add-on, has better FXL EPUB features)
- QuarkXPress 2015 (interactive FXL EPUB, not out until March)

The HTML rendering abilities of LiveCode (custom software creation
toolkit, now open-source) are improving dramatically with each update.
When I last experimented with this I did manage to show HTML5 pano
content within a custom app. It's still not the simplest thing in the
world, but for true local and offline standalone delivery it's an
interesting option.
- LiveCode.com

Posted by: "Keith Martin" <#removed#>