Sender:Valient
Date/Time:2004-Sep-13 13:56:01
Subject:Re: Re: copyright violation?

PanoTools: Re: Re: copyright violation? Valient 2004-Sep-13 13:56:01
On Mon, 2004-09-13 at 07:20, Rik Littlefield wrote:

> But as I understand it, the source codes for Professor Dersch's
> versions of PTStitcher and PTOptimizer were never released.  So it
> seems that either Prof.Dersch did not really intend for the full
> power of the GPL to apply to pano12.dll, or perhaps (a fantasy, OK?)
> his PTStitcher and PTOptimizer programs actually relied on some
> pano12.dll look-alike that was in fact not covered by the GPL.

The author of a work doesn't need a license in order to use their own
work :-).  So the author of pano12.dll can do whatever he wants with it
-- the license is only for other people.

> There is also, at least in the U.S., the concept that you cannot
> knowingly allow infringement of copyright for many years, and then
> suddenly complain about it.

I think you're thinking of trademarks, not copyrights.  Copyrights
extend even past the author's death (it was author's life + 50 years in
the US, but I think it is even longer now).  So even children or
grand-children could get involved!

Well, anyway..  I've stuck my nose far enough into the pano-tools and
author(s) business, when it isn't really my concern.  I'm only here
because I was reading a review on DPreview.com and saw a Pano-tools GUI
that I thought might be portable to Linux.  But I'm sure I could have
made more progress by coding then arguing (I was being lazy) :-).

But as a side note, it looks like the author of PTLens (Mr. Niemann) has
released source for his programs.  I hope his experience in sharing code
will be as good as mine has been..

regards,
Valient

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/.Cr1lB/TM