Sender:yuval_levy
Date/Time:2004-Sep-14 02:45:37
Subject:Re: copyright violation?

PanoTools: Re: copyright violation? yuval_levy 2004-Sep-14 02:45:37
Clarifying the formal licensing terms of the panotools is important,
for the benefit of the community, the respect of the original author's
intellectual property, the sustainability of the GUI developers
business.

Rik, it's your right to disagree with my opinion against the LGPL - it
is just my personal opinion.

You have no right to assume licensing terms to the panotools other
than those explicitely set by the original copyright holder. Professor
Dersch has released panotools under GPL. All subsequent authors and
developers must comply.

Professor Dersch's is the only one who has the right to change
licensing terms. He has the right to license the pano12.dll under as
many different licenses and to different individuals as he pleases,
like MySQL AB does with its database MySQL or Namesys does with its
filesystem ReiserFS.

Professor Dersch has the right to license pano12.dll under different
terms to himself, or to whoever he pleases, so there is no obligation
for him to release the source code of PTStitcher and PTOptimizer. He
has the right to issue time-restricted licenses, though you are right
in that the licensing terms can not be made retroactive unless both
parties agree.

It is in the interest of the community to clarify the formal licensing
terms of panotools. It is in the interest of Professor Dersch to get
something in return for his marvellous work, either contributed source
code to the community (as in the GPL) or money (as in commercial
licenses) from the GUI developers who profit from his work. It is in
the GUI developers interest to agree on a non-GPL license, so that
they can continue to make money with their proprietary model.

The LGPL is very much in the interest of the GUI developers but not so
much in the interest of Professor Dersch or of the community. It is a
matter of bargaining. With the GPL, the bargain is for free code. With
a commercial licence, the bargain is for money. With the LGPL, the
bargain is for nothing and developers of derivative work can keep it
all for themselves.

Imagine the panotools under LGPL. A commercial developer could improve
the pano12.dll and not give the improvements back neither to Professor
Dersch nor to the community. He could sell it back to him/us. It is as
if you would give your car to your son and he'd get back renting it to
you when you need it...

Its GPL, its not LGPL. The GUI developers are non-compliant. It is in
the interest of the community to solve this non-compliance in an
amicable way and that way might be LGPL, though in my opinion LGPL is
biased in favor of GUI developers. A more balanced approach would
allow the developers to still thrive on their proprietary model while
giving credit to Professor Dersch in terms of a cut on their revenues.
If Professor Dersch does not want the money, he can stipulate in the
license that the money will go to a legal fund to protect legitimate
photographers from ipix lawsuits...

--- In #removed#, "Rik Littlefield" <#removed#

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/.Cr1lB/TM