Sender:Erik Krause
Date/Time:2004-Sep-13 14:20:17
Subject:Re: copyright violation?

PanoTools: Re: copyright violation? Erik Krause 2004-Sep-13 14:20:17
On 13 Sep 2004 at 0:45, yuval_levy wrote:

> The last word on this is with Professor Dersch: if he does not release
> the PT under an alternative licence (which could be the LGPL, though I
> strongly recommend against it as the community and Professor Dersch
> would lose from this), then to be legally compliant the developers of
> PT based tools should publish their source code to comply with the
> GPL.

There would be still the possibility for the GUI developers to
interface PTStitcher and PTOptimizer only. These two where never
released under the GPL, the source code is still missing. Or to
rewrite the necessary routines, as nona f.e. does. The knowledge
behind the remapping algorithms is centuries old, as we all know...

BTW.: Does anybody know which panotools version was the first one
released under GPL? The version 2.1 was not, at least there was no
source code available. And does anyone remember why it was released
under GPL? Could well be this has something to do with the Dersch -
Ipix case...

best regards
--
Erik Krause