Sender:yuval_levy
Date/Time:2004-Sep-13 15:05:17
Subject:Re: copyright violation?

PanoTools: Re: copyright violation? yuval_levy 2004-Sep-13 15:05:17
It would be sad if the GUI developers had to waste time rewriting
centuries old remapping algorythms. As you write, the remapping
algorythms are centuries old. Almost as old as Galileo's theory about
the Earth being round. Has anybody tried to display some of the old
world maps within PTViewer?

A missing source code (PTstitcher/PToptimizer) is not enough to say
that they are not subject to the GPL.

There is no explicit obligation, under GPL, for the original author to
release his source code.

I do not know how using PTstitcher and PToptimizer would work
technically nor under which license Prof. Dersch released them, so I
can't make a guess on how their license would affect the GUI's. If
they where in the same zip file containing PT, it is safe to assume
that the license is the same as for PT.

Even if it is not, there are commercial tools out there that interface
in different ways than compiler include files, e.g. plug-ins, skins,
communication protocols. The interface is almost always licensed under
some terms that say what you can or can not do with it (and sometime
also how much you have to pay for it). In case of doubt, the original
author always retains the intellectual property rights and thus the
right to set the terms and conditions of use, so we are back at Prof.
Dersch.

I feel sorry that he is silent on the topic and that he is no longer
involved in the development of the panotools. His talent is so much
appreciated by most of us in this forum and he could catalyze the
further development of the tools. His work powers many of our hobbies
and businesses and it would be only right to give something back to
him, whether in terms of source code, money, or just a thank you!

I guess he is silent because of the bullies at iPix and I believe they
should not get away with it!

--- In #removed#, "Erik Krause" <#removed#>
wrote:
> On 13 Sep 2004 at 0:45, yuval_levy wrote:
>
> > The last word on this is with Professor Dersch: if he does not
release
> > the PT under an alternative licence (which could be the LGPL,
though I
> > strongly recommend against it as the community and Professor
Dersch

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/.Cr1lB/TM