Sender:Philipp Frauenfelder
Date/Time:2004-Sep-10 12:06:03
Subject:Re: copyright violation?

PanoTools: Re: copyright violation? Philipp Frauenfelder 2004-Sep-10 12:06:03
Hi

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 07:16:20PM -0400, Mathieu Villegas wrote:
> Here is a text from the FSF FAQ about it: "If a library is released
> under the GPL (not the LGPL), does that mean that any program which uses
> it has to be under the GPL? Yes, because the program as it is actually
> run includes the library."

This is from http://www.fsf.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html

If I get this one and the text from Larry Rosen,
http://www.rosenlaw.com/html/GL18.pdf, corretly, they are
essentially contradictory to each other.

Well, as the FAQ above is from the Free Software Foundation, the
authors of the GPL, I would value it somewhat higher as they
certainly know what the spirit of their own work should be. IMHO

Other seem to look at this a bit differently...

Btw, there is also
http://www.fsf.org/licenses/gpl-violation.html :

  Note that the GPL, and other copyleft licenses, are copyright
  licenses. This means that only the copyright holders are
  empowered to act against violations. The FSF acts on all GPL
  violations reported on FSF copyrighted code, and we offer
  assistance to any other copyright holder who wishes to do the
  same.

  But, we cannot act on our own if we do not hold copyright.
  Thus, be sure to find out who the copyright holders of the
  software are before reporting a violation.

Indeed -- as many people have already said -- Helmut Dersch has
to clarify this, eg. ask the people to release the source or
maybe do something about the license of PT.

Regards
--
Philipp      | work: #removed#  +41 44 632 60 38
Frauenfelder | home: #removed#    +41 44 862 73 14

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/.Cr1lB/TM