Sender:Paul D. DeRocco
Date/Time:2004-Nov-23 07:32:23
Subject:RE: PanoTools Yahoo Groups Membership Migration

PanoTools: RE: PanoTools Yahoo Groups Membership Migration Paul D. DeRocco 2004-Nov-23 07:32:23

> From: John Spikowski [mailto:#removed#]
>
> If you would have gone past the first sentence, you would have
> read that the
> forum will include a mailing list option. If you would have visited the
> forum link provided and checked out the Forum & Mailing list section, you
> would have found some facts that support that your in the minority. Two
> thirds of the list prefers on-line viewing or a single daily digest as a
> delivery mode.

No need to get touchy. I did read the whole message. It mentioned that an
email digest would be an option, which of course doesn't allow one to save
individual messages locally. It also mentioned the possibility of a
"bi-directional interface", whatever that is. If that's a conventional
mailing list with individual emails, then I'll be happy.

I also visited the forum and read the few messages there. My experience with
other Yahoo groups is that the huge number of people who are subscribed but
don't get email aren't actually participants at all. They just sign up to be
able to search the archives once, probably for an answer to a particular
question, and maybe go back once in a while. The people who actually
participate are split between people who prefer individual emails and a
daily digest, and will defend their choice to the death. Between those
choices, individual emails is generally more popular.

I'm signed up for three or four forums using the same software you've
chosen, and since I'm not completely wrapped up in the subjects of those
forums in my day to day life, I find I rarely go back until I have a
question, so I'm rarely in a position to read and answer anyone else's
questions. The same is true of the handful of conventional newsgroups I'm
on, both on and off Usenet. But mailing lists feed messages at me, so I see
the subject lines of all of them, even though I delete most of them unread.
This prompts greater participation on my part. I'm active in about a dozen
of those.

In the weeks that I've been on this list, I didn't see any discussion of
this, so it seemed rather unilateral. I see now that the new forum started
up about a week ago, and somehow some people found out about it, but there
isn't much there yet. Having a site is a good idea, since Yahoo's support
for photos and files is pretty marginal, but Yahoo does a good job on
messaging, in my experience.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
Paul                mailto:#removed#