Sender:JD Smith
Date/Time:2005-Mar-15 02:17:34
Subject:Re: Re: Migration Timeline

PanoTools: Re: Re: Migration Timeline JD Smith 2005-Mar-15 02:17:34
On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 17:05:01 +0100, Fulvio Senore wrote:

> John,
>
> asking for money is always a good way to make people angry...
>
> It seems that you have decided that "The bottom line is that being a
> PanoTools members is no longer going to be a free ride."
>
> One problem is that YOU have decided it, but what makes you think that
> you have the right to decide it?
>
> Another problem is that if you start asking for money to let people be
> part of the list, many other people could start asking money too, and
> with better reasons. Let's not forget that this list is about software.
> Software is the reason why this list exists, not the opposite. It seem
> curious to me that people should pay for being part of a list that
> discusses software that is free or very cheap.
>
> I have developed some software for free, and I don't regret it. I have
> even had fun developing it. I must admit that I don't believe that I
> could make much money with that software and this has helped me to do it
> for free. But if somebody starts charging money just to discuss the
> software that I have contributed to develop for free I start feeling a
> little stupid.
>
> I want to keep the panotools software free and I don't want to feel
> stupid, so I believe that it is better to give up forced donations.
>
> Fulvio Senore
>
> John Spikowski ha scritto:
>
>>I'm asking active members that actually profit from the use of PanoTools to
>>donate. I'm sure there are current members on a fixed income that $25.00
>>would cause stress in their life and would have to go without. I'm not
>>asking anyone to donate and then end up homeless. I'm not a idiot and can
>>tell which members are more than a weekend shutterbug. The bottom line is
>>that being a PanoTools members is no longer going to be a free ride. If
>>there are members on the list that can give a little more to compensate for
>>the members that can't, then that will work also.
>>
>>If someone wants to match my $50,000+ in unbillable time and out of pocket
>>expenses I have donated to PanoToools, then I'll be more sympathetic to the
>>users that can't come up with the one time $25.00 donation I'm asking for.

I think Fulvio has said it perfectly.  This is a group of hobbyists,
discussing mostly free software, interacting with a free exchange of
ideas (such as how to build your own free panoramic camera mount), and
owing its very existence to the selfless (and, sadly, persecuted) free
efforts of one Prof. Helmut Dersch.  Yet you would never find
Dr. Dersch stepping in to ask for money for having gifted PanoTools to
the world, quoting the billable hours, and the cost to his family and
personal life, not to mention his legal situation, which resulted from
developing PanoTools.  He built Panorama Tools, just like so many here
have built other tools, tutorials, howtos, and more, for the simple
reward of developing and sharing knowledge, of fostering a community
of enthusiasts who share his interests, of improving the methods and
practices of immersive imaging.  Have some profited from the work and
advice presented here?  Yes, of course.  Does that justify perverting
the very nature of free exchange of ideas the list emodies?  I don't
think so.

That said, I can certainly understand if the burden of maintaining and
moderating the PanoTools list is no longer worth the meager rewards
you receive of the type I mentioned.  This is perfectly natural, in
fact it happens all the time.  The only real solution is to reduce or
eliminate your workload by asking others to volunteer.  Remember, no
one elected you to the position of list moderator.  If it no longer
brings you any joy, but only thoughts of billable hours slipping
through your fingers, it's time to step down.

JD

PanoTools Wiki: http://wiki.panotools.org
PanoTools PayPal Donation Account: support_AT_panotools.info (_AT_ = @)