Sender:Steven Dowd
Date/Time:2005-Mar-18 10:42:56
Subject:Re: New PanoTools list moderator

PanoTools: Re: New PanoTools list moderator Steven Dowd 2005-Mar-18 10:42:56
Kevin,

I deleted the poll that I started on the question of whether the yahoo
egroup should be deleted and moved to the panotools.info website,

It was deleted with the results showing:

7%    Yes, close the yahoo panotools egroup and move to panotools.info
93%   NO, do not move the panotools egroup, stay as now at yahoo

70 people had voted in the less than 24 hrs it was running.

Personally I think John has taken the recent comments and postings as an
attack on his setting up the panotools.info website, but to be honest i
havn't seen one such post. What seems to have upset most of the people who
made comments,  is the decision he made to shut down the yahoo system, and
auto transfer everyone to his new panotools.info system.

I agree with your statement that panotools.info can be a great resource, and
will indeed be much better suited to holding the info than the faq at yahoo,
but the complaint / concern wasn't voiced because of the simpleness of the
yahoo faq, or even the small holding size of the yahoo files repository, it
was the shutting down and moving of the yahoo email list itself which caused
the concern.

For me personally, my concern was that the egroup was in effect being
hijacked into johns personal website, away from the yahoo system, to me the
yahoo system is the buffer that allows the egroup to stay indipendant of any
commercial exploitation, I wouldnt suggest that John would contemplate such,
but in 2003 when he setup the egroup, i doupt john would have ever thought
he would setup panotools.info as an alternative future home, as you say
lists evolve, idea's change, with a group based on a gpl concept, yahoo
untill such time as the system changes, its rules change, or it charges such
that it is silly to stay put, should suffice.

I admire John for what he has done, and the idea's he has for the future of
the panotools group, I am sure that the panotools.info website will be a
great success, and end up the main source for panotools info, I respect him
more though for the fact that he has stood back, read, listened, and moved
his position on the yahoo egroup being closed and moved, I am sure many
people will share the same view.

Kevin, Congratulations on the delivery of your new 1800+ member, panotools
egroup baby.

I think you should still ask for other moderators though, that way It will
never be a burden, onhand babysitters are allways going to proove handy, for
those to many real life things to do days..

I look forward to what happens next, and will now i'm off to have a surf
round the panotools.info wiki to see whats new today.

Steven Dowd