Sender:Thomas Rauscher
Date/Time:2006-Feb-20 15:38:37
Subject:Re: Re: PTGui 5.7 - how to use the antialiasing filters ?

PanoTools: Re: Re: PTGui 5.7 - how to use the antialiasing filters ? Thomas Rauscher 2006-Feb-20 15:38:37
Hello Erik,

on Monday, February 20, 2006, 15:16:34 you wrote:

EK> Thomas Rauscher <yahoo@...> writes:

>> I think it is always a good idea to use them, since the reproduction
>> is better (not so high tendency to ring artefacts like with sinc1024)
>> and if you scale down the image, at least in some parts, they avoid
>> aliasing.

EK> Could you comment on how large the kernels are?

I have added the values to the http://www.pano2qtvr.com/dll_patch.php
page. This size is without shrinking.

EK> And do you have any estimation about execution times?

I would say 50% to 100% slower than the original filters without fast
transformation since I always have to use the inverse transformation
to estimate the kernel size and for this reason, I can not use the
fast transformation code. The execution time also highly depends on the
amount of shrinking, because the kernel gets bigger, if there are more
pixels involved (f.e. for the center pixel in the zenith/nadir cube face I
have to average the full width of the equirectangular....)

EK> If not I'll probably set up some batch file to automatically
EK> measure the times...

It is always a good idea to have an independent tester... ;)

MfG,
     Thomas.