Sender:Erik Krause
Date/Time:2006-Feb-20 17:00:23
Subject:Re: PTGui 5.7 - how to use the antialiasing filters ?

PanoTools: Re: PTGui 5.7 - how to use the antialiasing filters ? Erik Krause 2006-Feb-20 17:00:23
Thomas Rauscher <yahoo@...> writes:

> The kernel size on my page is the radius of the kernel so the largest
> kernel is 8x8 pixels. Its also possible to extend this size to what
> ever you like, but I see no real advantage since the the maximum
> contribution of a pixel beyond this radius with a gamma of 2.2 is
> sinc(4.5 * Pi) ^ 2.2 = 0,00295 for a 8 bit image this makes 0,754 of a
> step... so a really wide pattern of white/black pixels would be needed
> to see any difference at all... and I doubt that this gives "better"
> results instead of just echos in a normal image.

So why are the old sinc interpolators so large? I even think I can see a
difference between sinc256 and sinc1024...

BTW.: My favourite printing program - QImage - uses so called Vector and Pyramid
filters for upsampling. They are far superior to lanczos for that task. Wouldn't
they be an alternative for simple resampling, too?

best regards
Erik