Sender:Jacek Gancarson
Date/Time:2006-May-25 07:51:11
Subject:Re: Re: PanoTools Funding Options

PanoTools: Re: Re: PanoTools Funding Options Jacek Gancarson 2006-May-25 07:51:11
Hi,

I am not very active on the list but find this community and the comptence
gethered here briliant, fresh and usefull. I would congratulate John his
contribution in coaching the list in so many years after furthvangens
decline.
He remember me very much Ben Kreunen who was temporally a single man, who
hosted a mirror of Helmut Dersch website. In this way panotools survived.
>From my part, and after I read Helmut\s and Ford Oxaals story about Ipoxs
treatment of them,
I wrote some the letters about the praxis of unfair use of legal assets.
Then I wrote some letters about the same to European Parlament, giving
PanoTools as an example.
I agree that, if the yahoo\s free drive capacity is comming to its end, the
only solution is to find new server, and in no doubt to build mirrors of the
panotools.info to secure that all the archive and wikis do not disapear.
The funding is part of the process but even most important is communication
and contribution by action of many.

Best regards
Jacek Gancarson
www.eu3d.com

The move to a dedicated server was to allow the creation of three more
mirrored  PanoTools sites. (.org, .net and .com) EZ-Web-Hosting had a large
number of users on the shared hosting box we were on. Having a dedicated
server, management can configure Apache and other server resources to best
fit our needs. We can put whatever we want on the server and tie resources
together.

> Let's say *this list* (arguably the most active part of
> panotools right now) gets moved to the $150/ month
> panotools.info as you suggested, but then some time in the
> future you don't get the funding for the server you've
> already put everything on - would the list evaporate? That
> threat would be *one way* of insuring you get contributions!
> (And I'm sure the active membership would drop by quite a few
> "whiners" as well - including me.) Heck, why not have a
> "newbie tax" or "pay per post?" You can get a really slick
> server and CMS with amount of traffic this list has just
> continuing to debate after you declare "topic closed."
>
> For the record, Kevin, I say leave the list on Yahoo.

The mailing list is managed by Kevin and he will decide how and where it
runs. I was just letting the list know that we could have a common search
feature on PanoTools site if we migrated to Mailmain. (like the Beta list) I
have noticed that we are reaching storage limits on Yahoo and before they
start rolling old content off the group, we should look at moving it to
somewhere safe.

John

http://us.click.yahoo.com/.7bhrC/MGxNAA/yQLSAA/.Cr1lB/TM