Sender:panoramicsdk
Date/Time:2006-Jun-04 10:22:09
Subject:Re: I need help about the best way of converting an image of a fisheye to rectilinear

PanoTools: Re: I need help about the best way of converting an image of a fisheye to rectilinear panoramicsdk 2006-Jun-04 10:22:09
--- In #removed#, "Freddy Reiners" <freddy@...> wrote:

> I am owner of an Olympus E-500 with a fisheye Zuiko 8mm (equivalent 16mm in
> 35 mm format) and I want to convert my fisheye images to rectilinear so that
> I can take advantage of to the maximum the original image (fisheye) using
> PTools and Photoshop CS2. Could somebody explain step to step (workflow) as
> making it to obtain the best result? . I have tried but, when I make the
> conversion and I wish obtaining the maximum of visual field, the edges of
> the image is very deformed. I have proceed to remap instead of to
> rectilinear to remap to spherical projection and it is better, but the lower
> part and top part of the picture are bend. I would thank any suggestion .

There is no way you can use all the image from a fullframe fisheye converted to rectilinear
perspective without what you call distortion.
You have a view which is appr 96x130 degrees. This is more than any rectilinear lens ever
made.
My Sigma 12-24mm and the the 12mm Voigtländer lens are the widest rectilinear lenses
available and they give you 90x112 degees.
Even they stretches extremelly in the corners and  are at the absolutelly widest you can
accept.
For professional architecture photo you should not use more than 90x90 degrees

If your subjects allows it you can sometimes cheat by using some parameters which gives
you an image between recti and spherical perspective but you have to experiment with
taht yourself.
 Some images without straight lines look great in spherical even at 160 degrees wide.
If there are no straight lines in the image people will not notice the bowed lines.

Hans

http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/.Cr1lB/TM

<*> PanoTools List Reader @ GMane:
    http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.graphics.panotools