Sender:Fulvio Senore
Date/Time:2006-Sep-08 14:45:42
Subject:Re: Re: Which viewer to use...

PanoTools NG: Re: Re: Which viewer to use... Fulvio Senore 2006-Sep-08 14:45:42
Hans Nyberg ha scritto:
> --- In #removed#, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@...> wrote:
>

>> This is a test comparing Quicktime - Photoshop and PTviewer 2.8 at 200%
>> http://www.panoramas.dk/test/viewers-interpolation.jpg
>>
>> The original is a 3600x1800 panorama which is the max size I can see with PTViewer on
>> Mac OSX latest Sun Java
>>
>> Look at the large wire and you can see how well Quicktime shows it both as image and
>> QTVR.
>>

> I have done some more tests and discovered that the first test used the older version of
> ptviewer from the Safari cache.
> After deleting the cache and updating the quality setting to the new quality 6 for Ptviewer
> 2.8 there is no difference between Qtvr an PTviewer.
> The test is here
> http://www.panoramas.dk/quicktime/qtvr/viewer-test.html
>
> You may download the panorama as a tif for testing.
>
> Hans
> www.panoramas.dk

I am glad that PTViewer does not show a worse image than QuickTime. In
reality it shows a slightly better image than QT, but it is difficult to
see the difference with such a panorama. That pano lacks the fine
details and textures where ptviewer shows a clearly better quality.

For an image that really shows the difference you can go to the PTGui
gallery:
http://www.ptgui.com/gallery/
and look at the "Paraglider" pano. It is near the end of list. Look left
and up at the back of the wing ad see the artifacts caused by the
viewer. Pan slowly. Try zooming in and out to see what happens. Compare
the two viewers at the same zoom level (the default zoom is different).

Fulvio Senore

<*> Gmane (news) nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.graphics.panotools.ng

<*> Gmane  (web) http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.graphics.panotools.ng