Sender:Eric O'Brien
Date/Time:2007-Nov-27 23:15:05
Subject:Re: hobbies?

PanoTools NG: Re: hobbies? Eric O'Brien 2007-Nov-27 23:15:05
I have, in the dim past, made money creating interactive panoramas.
So long ago that film was the only reasonable choice, cylindrical was
the only option and the words "Cinepak" and "320 by 240" were often
spoken.  :)

That would be the days of QuickTime VR Authoring Studio.  I worked on
a team that produced (remember these?) CD ROM titles!

Well.

I enjoy photographing and creating interactive panoramas, but my
*intent* is to get people to pay for them (again).  I don't expect to
be able to make a living doing this alone, but the skill could be
used, for example, as a *component* of full time regular employment.

Of course, we've gone from 320x240 windows displaying cylindrical
panoramas to bracketed capture, HDR -> tonemapping, full screen
presentation with Flash players....

FYI, my pano head is made of wood also.  Mostly... the click-stop
rotator is a Manfrotto part, and the leveling component is a
Manfrotto mini-geared head.  More Manfrotto stuff holds and aligns
the camera.

My camera is a (now "very old!") Fuji FinePix S2 Pro.  It is amazing
to see how much faster current cameras can move data to the storage
card.  This *really* shows when capturing a 3 bracket (27 images)
panorama in raw format.  I can push the button and turn FAR faster
than the camera can offload the data.  :(

  And the displays on new cameras must be *twice* as big!

eo