Sender:paul womack
Date/Time:2007-Nov-30 10:59:16
Subject:Re: pseudo "scanning" a large map

PanoTools NG: Re: pseudo "scanning" a large map paul womack 2007-Nov-30 10:59:16
Bruno Postle wrote:
> On Thu 29-Nov-2007 at 13:05 +0000, paul womack wrote:
>> On a loosely related theme, I would like to use panoramic
>> techniques to make a hiresolution "scan" of a roughly
>> 36"x24" (very old, quite fragile, paper) map.
>>
>> I certainly don't have a flatbed scanner that size,
>> and a tesselated scan would on my A4 flatbed
>> would endanger the map physically.
>>
>> Are there any special difficulties here?
>
> It's more complex than a usual stitching job, but it is all doable
> with any panotools-derived tool - Look for tutorials on stitching
> 'linear panoramas'.  I think you are using hugin,

Yes; I use Linux, and open-source in general for my hobbies.

 > in which case
> there is a tutorial here:
>
> http://www.dojoe.net/tutorials/linear-pano/

I saw that; I believe I can avoid some
of that complexity by situtating my pano-head a good distance"
e.g. 8 feet from the map, and using a long lens (say 100mm in 35mm terms)
and making a simple "tiled" set of photos.

Thus (I hope) emulating a super high-res camera.

> There was some more discussion of this tutorial earlier on the ptx
> list (sorry, just trying to avoid duplication):
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.misc.ptx/8060/focus=8082

Avoiding duplication is good! I certainly have
no right to demand that you re-key for my
benefit ;-)

>> What stitching projection should I use?
>
> Rectilinear.
>
>> One concern is maintaining "linearity" so that 1" at the edge of
>> the map is the same size(!) in my final output as 1" in the middle
>> of the map.
>
> Use horizontal and vertical control points to keep the perspective
> 'straight-on'.

Yes - that would correct any errors. Would I expect
such errors?

Thanks for your help.

   BugBear