Sender:Michel Thoby
Date/Time:2010-Apr-09 17:00:59
Subject:Re: Promote Control (was Open Camera Control project)

PanoTools NG: Re: Promote Control (was Open Camera Control project) Michel Thoby 2010-Apr-09 17:00:59
Le 9 avr. 2010 ?4:01, Erik Krause a ?it :

> Am 09.04.2010 04:04, schrieb l_d_allan:
>> I'm curious what you mean by "external bracketing control".
>>
>> My Canon 50d works nicely to have -2 / 0 / +2 bracketing with one
>> shutter press.
>
> Yes, of course. But if you want more you would need to do it manually.
> Or use some external device, connected via USB. The easiest would be
> a notebook with some bracketing software. Could be EOS Utility can do
> it but I don't know for sure for your camera. A commercial option is DSLR
> Remote Pro, a freeware one GPhoto. And of course there are specialized
> devices like f.e. the http://www.hdrlabs.com/occ/ DIY project.
> --
> Erik Krause

Le 9 avr. 2010 ?4:12, Erik Krause a ?it :

> Hello,
>
> As far as I searched the Open Camera Control project wasn't mentioned
> here yet: http://www.hdrlabs.com/occ/
>
> They modify a Nintendo DS to directly control a DSLR - in almst any
> aspect...
>
> --
> Erik Krause

Hi Erik,

I went briefly along some of the different Open Camera Control paths that you have mentioned here-above, but these attempts did not result in a tangible result here...
Unexpected were numerous difficulties arising from me mostly using both a Mac and a Canon EOS 5D MkII as they happen to be not fully supported by one or the other required new element of the systems.
In addition, not being really versed neither in Windows command line operation or in linux programming was a hurdle that hampered my will.
Thus I kept for a while applying the "bulb mode bracketing" trick that was originally told by Peter Guthrie on the HDRI Community forum and that was relayed here on this list by Bruce Hemming about a year ago. I had improved this clever method by using the C1, C2 and C3 positions of the control wheel of the 5D2 camera (rather than the single "C" of some previous Canon EOS models): up to 12 images each separated by up to 2 IL could then be shot in a semi-automatic process. I even had designed an abacus to help defining the required settings.

Then, while I found it to be quite pricey (this statement might be disputed), I bought the Promote Control from Promote Systems.
I have used it intensively for about two months now and I must admit to be fully satisfied with this autonomous and compact product. You may read its feature list here:
http://www.promotesystems.com/products/Promote-Control.html
As HDR shooting is concerned, the smaller exposure interval that is allowed by the Promote HDR Controller is 0.3 IL and there is no told upper limit. Simultaneously, the maximum number of exposures is designed to be 45 photos, but I have found by experimentation that a bug actually restraints the limit of the range at only.... 33 exposures. That number should be IMO quite enough for anyone here on this list:))

There was a hurdle that deprived the EOS 5D Mark II (and the EOS 7D as well) from shooting a photo in a longer than 30 sec. duration for HDR. This has been fixed a few days ago by a (beta) update of the firmware!

BTW a very informative, very active (and very long) thread is going on the hdrlabs.com forum:
http://tinyurl.com/yywwwba

--
Michel Thoby