Sender:Michel Thoby
Date/Time:2010-Apr-11 15:01:10
Subject:Re: Open Camera Control project

PanoTools NG: Re: Open Camera Control project Michel Thoby 2010-Apr-11 15:01:10
Le 11 avr. 2010 ?2:07, luca vascon a ?it :

> 2010/4/9 Erik Krause <#removed#>:
> > Am 09.04.2010 19:50, schrieb luca vascon:
> >> controlling time exposure through bulb mode is not what I'd expect...
> >
> > Uhh, they use bulb mode? I didn't see this...
> >
> > --
> > Erik Krause
> yes, unfortunately. They plug in the camera remote shutter, that means
> NO data and nothing more than on-off switch.
> Is not byanymeans a usb-host controlling.
> The one who makes first an openhardware USB controlling for cameras, wins...
> :-)
> http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1241065918
> http://hackaday.com/2009/08/21/arduino-usb-host-shield/
> NintendoDS being indeed, along with iphone, symbian phones, android
> etc, the perfect controller for it!!!
> :-D
Hello Luca,

Without bulb mode and without remote shutter?
Is there an other way to shoot on most (if not all) DSLR a HDR exposure sequence when at least one exposure duration lasts more than 30 sec?

As a salient example, the Promote Control (from Promote Systems) allows to set the camera in other modes than bulb (e.g. manual) and yet to shoot a sequence automatically with at least one exposure lasting more than 30 sec., but I believe that the camera is then actually controlled to shoot in bulb mode through the USB tether and a supplementary cable is required to get the sequence complete i.e. to trigger the shutter above the 30 sec. duration limit.
Furthermore on Canon 5D Mark II and 7D, the longest automatic HDR exposure is physically limited to 30 seconds due to mechanical Bulb mode activation. As a clever workaround, a very recent Promote Control firmware (still beta) update prompts the user to activate Bulb mode manually as required and it works!

--
Michel Thoby