Sender:Roger D Williams
Date/Time:2012-Feb-28 00:18:51
Subject:Re: Re: low budget rotator

PanoTools NG: Re: Re: low budget rotator Roger D Williams 2012-Feb-28 00:18:51
Thanks again.

On Feb 28, 2012, at 5:21 AM, "afrenyo" <#removed#> wrote:

> hello again.
>
> did not measure the amount of time of the rotation, but i think the video gives a good idea.  look at the second run, when it turns continuously with the camera snapping away.
>
> http://panoramablog.com/nex/nex-o-moto.mp4

Yes, I looked at that video later and it gives a pretty good idea of the rotary speed.

> the range of the remote is 5-8m, and i can confirm it working for that range.

So it would be fine for a pole pano, which is what I am thinking of.

> the only thing you have to do is fit your panohead and prevent it from slipping off.  if you don't wanna use the motorizer, you could just thread the axle and use a fitting thread on your panohead.  i wanted to use the motorizer for the limo spinner, and didn't wanna alter the 3/8 thread i put on my panorama head, so just fitted a washer on top of it, and added a locking pin to prevent the head from slipping off.
>
> http://shop-cdn.lomography.com/catalog/product/cache/3/image/960x640/5e0...

Ah, I see! An unthreaded spindle. It all makes sense, now.

> i can only guess that your pentax or anything that size or bigger may prove too heavy.  nor would i recommend a swing arm panohead, as those would leverage too much wait on it - again, i am guessing.  but a swing arm head is an overkill, and when shooting with a fisheye, it is an overkill (bulky and heavy) in any situation, in my opinion (i.e. i  would never use one).

Well, the K-x is a light and small DSLR, which is why I find myself automatically reaching for it despite the much higher quality of my Nikon D300... And I use it with a light, plastic ring mount, which is fairly well balanced when I use it with my Peleng.

Just one more question. How is the motorizer attached to the tripod or whatever holds it? Is this a conventional 3/8" thread?

Thanks again. The Lomography store is not very conveniently located for me and I'm not sure when I will be able to get there...

Roger W.