Sender:cvoneinem
Date/Time:2012-Apr-04 09:06:03
Subject:Re: D800 test (?)

PanoTools NG: Re: D800 test (?) cvoneinem 2012-Apr-04 09:06:03

Hi Luca,

you forgot to add a subject but somehow I guess this is about the D800, right? :-)

--- In #removed#, luca vascon <luca.vascon@...> wrote:

> On saturday I could test the camera for around 20minutes.
> WOW!
> 36 megapixels, and all of them are there!!!
> :-)
> I tested it with my shaved 10.5mm, results were amazing, I was oddly off of
> npp, I think. I had to retouch the whole thing a lot.
> Does PTGUI take in account 10.5 odd projection issues!?

Try hugin to stitch your 10.5 images, since version 2011.0.0 it includes the "thoby projection" as a lens type which is what you need.

See <http://hugin.sourceforge.net/releases/2011.0.0/en.shtml>:
"Other Improvements [...] New Thoby projection modeling 10.5mm Nikkor fisheye lens."

> But, well... 13200x6600 pixel in THREE shots means something uh?!
> At 800 iso it keeps a very good shape, dynamic and just a subtle noise that
> we could call grain, and that can be changed for "detail".
> AMAZING camera. LV controls are now on the back, continuous shootings etc
> are on the top left dial and not blinded any more, there is a top button
> dedicated to bracketing, even if bkt interval is still limited to 1stop steps.

The D300 (and so the D700 probably as well allows to define one of the two buttons on the front (right from the lens mount) as a BKT modifier so all you need to do is hold that button and by rotating both dials you can easily set bracketing.

> Camera is smaller and 100g less than D700, and you can feel it.
> Control dials  and buttons feel even more tough than usual.

Cool.

> Part of the foolish price is due to the clean hdmi out... that categorize
> it under broadcast professional video equipment, and looks like they have
> to pay taxes for it.

So no more artificial restriction of movie length?

> images here asap!!!

Yes, pleeeease!

Carl