Sender:Paul Fretheim
Date/Time:2012-Apr-17 14:24:04
Subject:Re: Will an HD TV function as a PC display?

PanoTools NG: Re: Will an HD TV function as a PC display? Paul Fretheim 2012-Apr-17 14:24:04
I have an entertainment center Windows platform connected to my
Panoasonic Veira HDTV. My plasma HDTV is only 720p resolution. I use the
computer board, which has HDMI output on the video card as a second
signal source for watching entertainment. My video card can output 1080p
or 1080i. I don't really notice a difference between 720p or 1080i when
viewing the HDTV as a monitor.  It's fine for watching YouTube videos or
movies.

But the resolution is not good enough for text reading or text editing.
I do not think it is a good idea to substitute an HDTV for an actual
monitor for all purpose computing. You can read a few emails or see well
enough to navigate a few web pages, but the eyestrain would be terrible
if you were trying to write a term paper or thesis on the thing. On mine
you have to increase the font size so big to be able to read it you lose
the advantage of a big screen.

Bottom line - Don't do it. Find a plasma 720p 55" like mine somewhere
for watching movies. I found mine new for about $500 at a K-Mart and I
have been very happy with it. It's great for watching sports too.
Plasmas are brighter, sharper and much faster. No trails from fast
moving objects. The "burn in" issue has not been a problem. But they are
not designed to do what actual monitors are capable of when it comes to
small detail.

Paul Fretheim