Sender:Roger D Williams
Date/Time:2012-Apr-18 02:31:57
Subject:Re: Re: Will an HD TV function as a PC display?

PanoTools NG: Re: Re: Will an HD TV function as a PC display? Roger D Williams 2012-Apr-18 02:31:57
On Apr 18, 2012, at 12:54 AM, "Hans" <#removed#> wrote:

> --- In #removed#, Roger D Williams <roger@...> wrote:
>>
>> Thank you, Paul. That's very helpful. You've probably saved me from a disappointment, although my wife isn't keen on 3D TV anyway (even if I could use it as a monitor) so it's >rather a moot point at the moment.
>
> I have been using a HD TV as extra screen for several years.
> My current is a Sony Bravia 42"  and it works perfect together with my iMac 27" connected  with HDMI.
> I also have an old PC and my old Mac G5 connected to it using the standard PC connection.
>
> I use it both for showing panoramas and slideshow  and also as a TV screen for online TV and my Elgato Digital DVB  receiver. I just which Elgato would make a solution for encrypted TV as the interface is much better than my Digital Harddisc recorder.
>
> The colors are just as good as any cheap standard Computer screen.
> My built in  Mac software can easy calibrate it perfect.
>
> I did have a little problem when I got it to find the settings for the overscan so that it actually showed the true 1980x1080 pixels resolution using HDMI. It was  somewhere deap in the Sony settings.

Thank you, Hans. It looks as if Sony has what it takes for compatibility with computers! The 3D TV that first attracted me to this idea was a Panasonic Plasma type, and Paul's post suggests that this would have been a disappointment.

It was the 3D function that first drew my attention. I  have now seen  Korean (LG) 3D TV at a bargain price and will be looking at it today on my trip into central Tokyo.

Roger W.