Sender:Glenn Barry
Date/Time:2004-Nov-23 13:49:38
Subject:Re: Re: PanoTools Yahoo Groups Membership Migration

PanoTools: Re: Re: PanoTools Yahoo Groups Membership Migration Glenn Barry 2004-Nov-23 13:49:38
I can recommend a bulletin board as well, I visit one regularly and am
forever researching details that I have come across in the past. It's
dedicated to SGI Hardware and it's attracted so much traffic, for a
relatively obscure field that reading the comp.sys.sgi.* newsgroups has
become virtually redundant.

It also alerts me to replies to my messages and threads that I've posted
to in the past.

I feel that a lot of posts to the group are a re-invention of the wheel,
common questions and answers, necessarily so, because the search
function is so inadequate. It is a testament to the people here
continually answering common questions, you're all very helpful.

But a good thread on a message board would do wonders, as you can see
the evolution of the discussion, this helps a lot espceailly for people
trying keep their e-mail load down.

Having a folder full of e-mails can work, but you really need to make a
good effort at reading a large percentage to make sure you keep valuable
info. Inevitaly some slips by ;-)

When you delete one that comes in handy later, the yahoo archive sux
full stop.

If the categories are well planned then people can check what's
releveant for the moment and check that out.

If we can work out a newsfeed for posts then that will be an unbeatable
solution I agree, but I think John deserves a lot of commendation for
setting things up in the first place.

He's got great initiative and I think he's made the right choice

just my 2 cents

Glenn

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/.Cr1lB/TM