Sender:Rik Littlefield
Date/Time:2005-Mar-17 07:25:55
Subject:Re: resource future - some support for John

PanoTools: Re: resource future - some support for John Rik Littlefield 2005-Mar-17 07:25:55

--- In #removed#, "John Hollenberg" <#removed#>
wrote:
> Regarding the past "eviction":
>
> Was the person doing the eviction the same one leading the group to
> the new home on Yahoo?
>
> Did the group have any way to avoid the eviction?
>
> While not privy to the history, my guess is that the circumstances
> were very different, since this "eviction" does not appear to be
> necessary.

I wasn't around then either, but it seems that in February-April of
2003, John Spikowski appeared in the role of savior.

As recounted at
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.graphics.panotools/13843 , he
wrote (on Yahoo PanoTools) that

> If the Helmut's list does go down,
> at least we can keep things going.
>
> Feel free to put whatever you wish on the group site
> that others would need access to if we end up on our own.
> PS. I'm also looking for someone to be a backup moderator.

The current situation appears to be somewhat different.

Not only is a hypothetical eviction not necessary, but it would seem
to be in violation of Yahoo's terms of service, which state quite
clearly that

"You agree not to reproduce, duplicate, copy, sell, trade, resell or
exploit for any commercial purposes, any portion of the Service
(including your Yahoo! I.D.), use of the Service, or access to the
Service."

Perhaps these words mean something other than what they appear to
say.  I often misunderstand legalese.

--Rik

PanoTools Wiki: http://wiki.panotools.org
PanoTools Extended Topic Forum: http://forum.panotools.info