Sender:John Spikowski
Date/Time:2006-May-24 20:46:46
Subject:RE: Re: PanoTools Funding Options

PanoTools: RE: Re: PanoTools Funding Options John Spikowski 2006-May-24 20:46:46
> On May 24, 2006, at 8:45 AM, Sacha Griffin wrote:
> > Panotools.info and this list is John's asset, if he wants to use it
> > that's his business. If you don't like it, you have the
> above options.
>
> That's absurd; the content is community-driven, he's asking
> for funding donations, and this is exactly the attitude I
> know I'm afraid of - the list and the wiki are *not* John's
> asset. I've made it clear, through donations and my comments
> that I appreciate what John has done; I have also made it
> clear that I believe we all deserve to know where the money
> goes, and that if we think the budget needs are too high I
> don't see why there is this huge defensiveness about reducing
> the costs to ensure that this resource remains. John makes
> appeals for funding, and often notes that if he doesn't get
> the funding he needs that the resources are at risk; so why
> not take the responsible approach and look at both securing
> funding and reducing the budget? Seems perfectly normal and
> reasonable for an operation like this. He has been offered
> free hosting, and there are several experienced folks here
> who seem to agree that $1800/yr for hosting is unreasonably
> high - so why wouldn't he want us to help reduce those costs,
> either through outright donation of the service, or through
> helping to identify more cost-effective hosting?

PanoTools is a open source project I manage for the group. (someone has to
do it) The content of the site is public domain and belongs to all. I don't
know what restrictions Bert has put on the website but he did say that if
any commercial advertising is used on the site then his offering will be
removed. (another reason to keep this member own and operated)

> No one here (I certainly don't) wants to fork the community,
> and I'd like to think that there is a position somewhere
> between the extremes. I have no problem with John remaining
> at the helm, so to speak, I for one am just trying to help.

It kills me to see members like Yual, that bitch about everything but ask to
help and I hear a million excuses or requirements to contribute. I can count
on one hand the members I have in the "whiners" folder. (you know who you
are) I don't think there are many on this list that would put up with the
abuse I take trying to keep everyone happy. If I waited for everyone to
agree on a plan it would be 2020 before anything would get done.

> If I were in a position of fiscal responsibility for this
> community I would look hard at:
>
> - Reducing operating costs - there seem to be a lot of room
> for this, without compromising on the scalability that John seeks;
> - Offsetting costs through AdSense or other ad programs - I see
> *nothing* wrong with this;
> - Seeking out partnerships and sponsorships with groups like
> IVRPA - something John seems against even exploring - and
> with businesses.
> There are a number of software developers, hardware makers
> and other businesses involved in this community, and I'd have
> to think this is a viable possibility, even ignoring IVRPA.
>
> All of this, from my perspective, would seem to be in
> *John's* interest as well as the communities, and it
> continues to be almost surreal why these suggestions are met
> with such hostility.
>
> -R

I don't think Bert would have a problem with a links page with alternate
immersive imaging lists, sites and groups.

John

http://us.click.yahoo.com/97bhrC/LGxNAA/yQLSAA/.Cr1lB/TM