Sender:Mark Banas (lists)
Date/Time:2006-May-24 22:21:54
Subject:Re: Re: PanoTools Funding Options

PanoTools: Re: Re: PanoTools Funding Options Mark Banas (lists) 2006-May-24 22:21:54
On May 24, 2006, at 2:46 PM, John Spikowski wrote:

> It kills me to see members like Yual, that bitch about everything
> but ask to
> help and I hear a million excuses or requirements to contribute. I
> can count
> on one hand the members I have in the "whiners" folder. (you know
> who you
> are) I don't think there are many on this list that would put up
> with the
> abuse I take trying to keep everyone happy. If I waited for
> everyone to
> agree on a plan it would be 2020 before anything would get done.

Yes, and waiting a *whole 32 hours* before whining that no one is
contributing to a hosting plan you decided on (which jumped $1500/
year due to... an email problem?) and a plea you buried in a
newsletter would put you in which folder? I'm not surprised there are
people with excuses and requirements to contribute. Heck, if you had
kept costs static, recent contributions would mean that you wouldn't
have to "deal with this abuse" until 2008! (Maybe this is really a
new kind of "funding drive?")

Let's say *this list* (arguably the most active part of panotools
right now) gets moved to the $150/ month panotools.info as you
suggested, but then some time in the future you don't get the funding
for the server you've already put everything on - would the list
evaporate? That threat would be *one way* of insuring you get
contributions! (And I'm sure the active membership would drop by
quite a few "whiners" as well - including me.) Heck, why not have a
"newbie tax" or "pay per post?" You can get a really slick server and
CMS with amount of traffic this list has just continuing to debate
after you declare "topic closed."

For the record, Kevin, I say leave the list on Yahoo.

-Mark

http://us.click.yahoo.com/97bhrC/LGxNAA/yQLSAA/.Cr1lB/TM