Sender:John Spikowski
Date/Time:2006-May-24 23:00:16
Subject:RE: Re: PanoTools Funding Options

PanoTools: RE: Re: PanoTools Funding Options John Spikowski 2006-May-24 23:00:16

> Yes, and waiting a *whole 32 hours* before whining that no
> one is contributing to a hosting plan you decided on (which
> jumped $1500/ year due to... an email problem?) and a plea
> you buried in a newsletter would put you in which folder? I'm
> not surprised there are people with excuses and requirements
> to contribute. Heck, if you had kept costs static, recent
> contributions would mean that you wouldn't have to "deal with
> this abuse" until 2008! (Maybe this is really a new kind of
> "funding drive?")

The move to a dedicated server was to allow the creation of three more
mirrored  PanoTools sites. (.org, .net and .com) EZ-Web-Hosting had a large
number of users on the shared hosting box we were on. Having a dedicated
server, management can configure Apache and other server resources to best
fit our needs. We can put whatever we want on the server and tie resources
together.

> Let's say *this list* (arguably the most active part of
> panotools right now) gets moved to the $150/ month
> panotools.info as you suggested, but then some time in the
> future you don't get the funding for the server you've
> already put everything on - would the list evaporate? That
> threat would be *one way* of insuring you get contributions!
> (And I'm sure the active membership would drop by quite a few
> "whiners" as well - including me.) Heck, why not have a
> "newbie tax" or "pay per post?" You can get a really slick
> server and CMS with amount of traffic this list has just
> continuing to debate after you declare "topic closed."
>
> For the record, Kevin, I say leave the list on Yahoo.

The mailing list is managed by Kevin and he will decide how and where it
runs. I was just letting the list know that we could have a common search
feature on PanoTools site if we migrated to Mailmain. (like the Beta list) I
have noticed that we are reaching storage limits on Yahoo and before they
start rolling old content off the group, we should look at moving it to
somewhere safe.

John

http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/.Cr1lB/TM