Sender:Keith Martin
Date/Time:2006-Jun-02 10:10:37
Subject:Re: PanoTools Yahoo Groups Messages Saved & Mirroring Enabled

PanoTools: Re: PanoTools Yahoo Groups Messages Saved & Mirroring Enabled Keith Martin 2006-Jun-02 10:10:37

Yuval Levy said:
>the current setting will void all of your efforts over the last years to
>keep this list and its members spam free as spambots will easily harness
>email addresses out files such as
><http://lists.panotools.info/pipermail/ptml/2006-May.txt>

Jeepers! I had assumed - rashly it seems - that such an archive and
republish effort would include decent filtering of email addresses so
spambots wouldn't be able to work out emails from the text.

Now I see that the all-too-predictable and frankly ineffectual method
of turning #removed# into name at domain.com has been used.
Also, email addresses in signatures are left intact. If I wanted to,
which I don't BTW, I could write a script in 20 minutes to extract
emails from every post here.

I applaud the good intentions, but could this please be fixed? This
is 2006, not 1996! Serious precautions have to be taken to prevent
spammers from harvesting our details and laughing all the way to the
nearest insecure SMTP server.

Just bomb everything in the text which has or had an @ symbol if you
like. Personally, I think it really isn't that important to be able
to contact someone directly over an archived post.

Otherwise all I can see to do is prevent the damage from getting any
worse by unsubscribing. :-(

http://us.click.yahoo.com/DHchtC/3FxNAA/yQLSAA/.Cr1lB/TM