Sender:Serge Maandag
Date/Time:2005-Mar-06 22:33:17
Subject:RE: PanoTools.info

PanoTools: RE: PanoTools.info Serge Maandag 2005-Mar-06 22:33:17
> I'm at a cross road with www.panotools.info and have to make
> a discussion to continue with it or shut it down. I see very
> little interest by the group to help create a home for the
> group or help with hosting costs. Unless the members can
> convince me to continue with it, the site will be shutdown in
> the next month or two.

It would be a pity. I'm not a designer so I can't help there.
I will chip in for the hosting costs, though. Hope I make a good
example for the rest of the group.

I spent quite some hours filling up the wiki. I still would love
To see it filled with knowledge and creativity.
I temporarely stopped adding stuff when I discovered I was just
About the only one adding content in it though.

I cannot imagine how such a big group can spawn so little contributors.
I don't know what's holding people back. I would love for them to
Speak out.

Is the reason:
- it's too big a step because people don't know how to work with a wiki?
- people don't know where to fit their stuff in the structure?
- they don't see the need for a knowledge base?
- they think they don't know enough about the subject?
- they don't know if their knowledge is correct and they don't want to
  embarrass themselves?
- something else?

I'd like to hear people speak out in this mailing-list about it.
We're all in the group and anything close to an opinion would be
Interesting. For a lot of problems I or someone else can help people
Get started. Any little contribution to the wiki is a plus. You don't
have to write an all-inclusive scientifically correct masterpiece.
Just a little knowledge on panoramas or a panotools related subject
would make a difference.

> I already spend a good amount of time maintaining the
> PanoTools Yahoo Group to keep spammers from joining.

You're doing a great job indeed.
Thanks for that!

Regards,
Serge.