Sender:Steven Dowd
Date/Time:2005-Mar-17 14:12:59
Subject:Re: New poll for PanoTools

PanoTools: Re: New poll for PanoTools Steven Dowd 2005-Mar-17 14:12:59
Bruno,

I do agree with what you say, the point that worries me, is the situation
where the goodwill of all the posters is transfered into what could quite
easily become a commercial vehicle, this would not be the case if the egroup
was left at yahoo.

I think what John has dome with the panotools.info is basically the same as
a fork in a gpl community, but as he controls the original egroup admin, he
is not simply forking, leaving the original community intact, but forcing
the fork.

Suggesting that all people will be transfered over to the new system is all
very well and good, suggesting that no one would loose out is all very good,
but it then ties the community to john totally, as he is the owner of
panotools.info, where-as the communty is to some extent safe guarded by
being with yahoo, thats not forgetting the fact that john could kill off the
yahoo egroup or close it to posts or whatever, not suggesting he would, but
at least we all know yahoo isnt going to close overnight, also yahoo is
free, it doesnt cost to have the egroup at yahoo, it does need admin work,
but i think it would have been better for john to just ask for help on that,
aand maybe then setup panotools.info as a true fork, in the gpl world this
happens all the time, some people go one way or another, some join both
groups or many as they themselves fork, but the common thing in most of
these forks is their relience on a neutral host, in most cases I would
suggest this is sourceforge. Here we have the possability of john closing
down totally the yahoo egroup in preferance to his panotools.info system so
capturing the whole membership into a system which we then are stuck with no
matter whether he in 1 or 2 years decides should be a total pay system..

John might say this will never happen, but when the yahoo egroup started,
and over the last few years, I doubt anyone would have thought he would come
out with some of the last two weeks statements.

I didnt want to setup the poll to determine the for better or worse of
mailman or yahoo email list systems, I wanted to find out, how many people
just want the egroup to stay at yahoo, not tied into "someones personal
website".

John has stated before now that after the changeover he is not going to kill
off the yahoo egroup name, or pass ownership to any other person, that he
plans to sit on the name, not releasing it. keeping it as a closed down
group, offering anyone that wishes to join the details to his, not the word
"his" panotools.info website.

John is doing a great job with panotools.info, i havnt ever said anything
bad about it, but I have said I believe it should be a seperate 'forked'
system.

The poll was not whether we should ask john to give over ownership of the
yahoo system, and it was not whether he should ask for moderators, I believe
if the results of the poll as it is, show that people want to stay at yahoo,
"as far as the mail list goes", then maybe those topics will be raised in
further polls, what people have to consider is whether they want to
contribute freely into what could at the flick of some online switch
instantly become a massive commercial vehicle for John.

When you sit and think about things, at the moment the yahoo egroup has some
1800 members, if 50% of those end up contributing 25 dollars, it will raise
22,500 dollars. thats 62 dollars per day, say 1 > 3 hrs per day of admin
work on memberships and emails. its not a bad evening job for anyone, not
considering that most all, if not all the content is freely given to the
website ..

Maybe 50% of people contributing is massively to high a figure, the point
that worries me is that the egroup is being shepherded towards a system
which is totally under one persons control. wheras a yahoo system with
co-owners and or moderators, would always be a free , and I would suggest a
fairer more gpl way to run what is afterall a gpl community.

So the poll I would suggest is a fair choice, stay as per now at yahoo, with
at least a buffer to any commercial use of the egroup by its owner, or close
and move totally to johns panotools.info system and hope things stay the
same?

again, these are my views and I apologise if they offend anyone, and John, I
do commend you on what you have done, and what you plan to do, but as I have
said it does worry me.

Steven Dowd