Sender:Robert McArthur
Date/Time:2005-Jun-14 05:17:39
Subject:RE: Canon 10-22 vs. Sigma 8 Fisheye

PanoTools: RE: Canon 10-22 vs. Sigma 8 Fisheye Robert McArthur 2005-Jun-14 05:17:39
> Sigma 8mm or Canon's new 10-22 Zoom?
>
> I have built a 6 shot workflow around the Sigma with the 20D.
> Can the new Canon lens do it in 6 shots?
>
> Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
>  Apparent Focal length:
> 16–35
>  Angle of View(In portrait orientation)
> [stated for APS-C format] :
> Horizontal
> 97°10' – 54°30'
> Vertical
> 74°10' – 37°50'
> Diagonal
> 107°30' – 63°30'
>
> Anyone with this rig(20D + new 10-22mm) willing to comment?

I have the 10-22 but am having trouble getting 360 degree
panos working properly (PTAssmbler v3) but I'm not trying to
do top and bottom as well. I've read others stating that they
can do a full sphere in 8-9: 6 for the horizontals, 2up and
1 down. So if you're not trying to do a sphere - just a 360 -
and you're on the nodal point so you may be able to work
with less overlap, then 6 is certainly possible. I've working
with 7 or 8 at the moment and having troubles (can anyone assist
in using PTa to do 360s from the 10-22?).

Cheers
Robert
PS. I'm using a 350D rather than 20D but that won't change
anything about the above...