Sender:Wheaton, Simon
Date/Time:2006-Jun-07 05:09:18
Subject:RE: newbie? q

PanoTools: RE: newbie? q Wheaton, Simon 2006-Jun-07 05:09:18
I am using Panotools (through PTMac) and Pano2QTVR for my cylindrical
panos.

I'm just too lazy to work out how to setup my spherical head nodal
points.

I think that the high percentage of sphericals vs cylindricals is due to
the novelty factor of spherical panos when viewing online, people seem
to like being able to look straight up and straight down, even though
there is usually not much there to look at.

For the landscape panos I shoot, cylindrical is fine, and all I need for
printing them.

You can have just as much info/detail in a spherical as a cylindrical,
if you shoot at the same resolution/lens/etc, it just takes more shots
and uses more disk space for the spherical.

For state of the art high resolution panos, if I had enough money, I
would look at the 16.7 megapixel Canon EOS-1Ds MkII, with the choice of
lens determining how high resolution/detailed your pano will be, a
narrower lens giving you a higher-resolution/larger pano but with more
shots required per pano

Simon

Canberra

AUSTRALIA