Sender:robert_harshman
Date/Time:2006-Sep-08 18:25:59
Subject:Re: Fisheye lenses vs Hyperbolic mirror

PanoTools NG: Re: Fisheye lenses vs Hyperbolic mirror robert_harshman 2006-Sep-08 18:25:59
> can anyone explain me what is the difference between
> and hyperbolic mirror and fisheye lenses?
> If there is any, wich one covers more suface?

I assume you mean a parabolic mirror, which is used by a variety of
one shot 360 systems such as 0-360, Kadian, and a few others that
have either gone of business or moved there business away from
selling mirrors for still photo virtual tour use.

>From a single shot, the mirror covers more as it takes in a 360
view, with a 90 to 110 vertical field of view, while a single shot
from a fisheye lens typically covers around 180 degrees both
horizontally and vertically.

But, for VR a single fisheye shot is typically not used, instead 2
to 4 or more shots are taken and then stitched into a full 360 by
180 view. Thus, the fisheye wins in coverage as it's not possible to
stitch multiple mirror shots ( there was one exception to this from
a company called Remote Reality that put the mirror on it's side and
allowed stitching of 4 shots into a full 360 by 180, but that
technology and mirror system is no longer sold.)

And what you'll find is that mirror systems are fine for low
resolution VR, typcially used in real estate for sale but can not be
used effectively for high resoultion full screen VR. They just do
not allow for enough pixels in a single image and they tend to
produce images that are quite soft on the edges especially if they
have Field of views greater than 90 degrees.

Hope this helps!

Robert

<*> Gmane (news) nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.graphics.panotools.ng

<*> Gmane  (web) http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.graphics.panotools.ng