Sender:Hans Nyberg
Date/Time:2007-Aug-03 13:20:58
Subject:Re: Processor Speedtest

PanoTools NG: Re: Processor Speedtest Hans Nyberg 2007-Aug-03 13:20:58
--- In #removed#, rogerhoward@... wrote:

> On Aug 2, 2007, at 3:34 PM, JD Smith wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 08:33:10 +0000, Hans Nyberg wrote:
> >

> > > 3 more speedtests on Mac and Windows XP on Mac
> > >
> > > 1.
> > > Model Name:	MacBook Pro 17"
> > > Model Identifier:	MacBookPro1,2
> > > Processor Name:	Intel Core Duo
> > > Processor Speed:	2.16 GHz
> > > Speedtest results PTGui 7.2
> > > 1st run 1.08
> >
> > vs.
> >
> > > Win XP run by Parallels on the same machine
> > > Memory set to 1064 mb
> > > PTGui 6.03
> > >
> > > 1st run 2.30
> >
> > This test seems to counter that claim. Of course, it could be the
> > memory
> > limits you've imposed, or the older version of PTGui on the Win side.
> > Does anyone have bootcamp with the same PTGui version under both
> > OS's to
> > test?
>
> This doesn't counter my claim at all - you're comparing OSX running
> on bare metal, to XP running in a virtual machine on top of OSX. In
> that instance I wouldn't expect XP to outperform OSX. The overhead of
> virtualizing the disk interface alone would make me avoid such a
> comparison.

I done some more testing of  Mac visa vi XP on Parallels

First I updated to PTGui 7.2 on XP
This seems to show that PTGui 7.2 is slightly slower which I also heard from the Group
while beta testing

the speedtest file gives me this.

Old tests 6.03 = 2.20 - 2.30

New test with 7.2 = 2.40

As running it in parallels means that you use 100% CPU (1 core) I also tested it running it
simultaneously on Mac and XP.
Result was this

Mac 2.50 (increasing from 1.08 when run alone)
XP 3.40

One thing which can affect the slow Windows performance could be the pano12 version.
As this test is run with panotools warping this could probably make  a big difference.

I have tested the PTgui warping on both Mac and windows and without fast transform  it
gives me this after reboot
XP 3.20
Mac 2.40
Using fast transform with PTGui warping speeds it up 100% both on Win and Mac but using
fast transform with Panotools warping makes almost no difference.

This is using the panotools (version 2.7.0.9/nh1) for Windows
and the pano12.dll from Jim Watters. As you can see he has 2 versions. The one I have is
the MinGW slower one which Joost recommends.
pano12.dll  [Version: 2.8.0 MSVS Size: 367KB] (Faster but may cause crash when used with
PTStitcher)
pano12.dll  [Version: 2.8.0 MinGW Size: 253KB] (slower by 25% to 50%, but stable with
PTStitcher).

On Mac we have no real Panotools but it is all in one special file called panotools.bundle

Hans