Sender:mrjimbo
Date/Time:2008-Feb-01 18:21:06
Subject:Re: Re: Sony announce 25Mp 35mm sensor

PanoTools NG: Re: Re: Sony announce 25Mp 35mm sensor mrjimbo 2008-Feb-01 18:21:06
Keith,
I'm not a rocket scientist but did learn that the delay for the introduction of teh Betterlight  new 10k scan back was all about that no lenses resolved what it would do properly.. Some how they did get to a compromise and did release the back.. In my converstaions with them at that time they spoke of the issues related to that level of resolving using optics.. Further we must realize that today optics are multi part.. So it's probably not just a matter of saying make another one that does it.. In the smaller sensors they have been packing more and more pixels.. but as spoken in these posts that has been at a price.. So it makes sense to make larger sensors..so the info that is captured isn't shrunk as much. The optics are actually doing a conversion...making a big image fit on a small sensor.. It appears that what we are experiencing is degradiation when we get to a certain threhshold at out current optical technology. The present answer is larger cameras it seems.. So tommorrows Nikon may look like my Pentax 6x7 with a face lift and a Nikon logo on it ( hopefully a little lighter too)....or a new version of a Sinar 8x10 with a fixed sensor in the back of it.with large pixel sizes... Whooo Hooo.

jimbo