Sender:Paul Fretheim
Date/Time:2012-Mar-25 20:14:41
Subject:Re: Panoramic Mural at Grand Canyon N.P. Visitors Center

PanoTools NG: Re: Panoramic Mural at Grand Canyon N.P. Visitors Center Paul Fretheim 2012-Mar-25 20:14:41
> Very interesting to me. Great achievement by any means, especially without motorized pano head.
> Thank you for your answer.
>
> A Kielcz
> Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.
  The Manfrotto pano system has a set screw which you set to whatever
number of images you want. With a 50 mm lens I shoot 36 images to go all
around, which is a shot every 10 degrees. So you just set it to stop
every 10 degrees and just move one stop at a time around. There isn't
much difference between moving 10 degrees by hand and letting a motor do
it. You just have to pay attention and remember if you shot that stop or
not as you make your way around through the 10 degree increments.
Sometimes that is difficult at a busy place like the Grand Canyon with a
hundred curious visitors wondering about what you are doing with the
strange tripod taking so many exposures.

Thanks for your kind words. The interpretive and archival staff at the
Grand Canyon sent out a request to all concerned to submit any images
they were aware of of the Canyon. There was an image shot from the same
spot roughly at the same time of year on my "Take Home Grand Canyon in
Virtual Reality!" DVD which has been sold at the visitors centers at
Grand Canyon for many years, and that image was the one chosen by the
staff for the mural. I wasn't aware of the competition or selection of
my work until I was contacted to see if I was interested in the commission.

The old one on my DVD was a pretty good image, but that was shot years
ago and techniques and cameras have improved a lot over the intervening
years, so I went over and re-shot the image in a higher resolution with
a digital camera for the mural image. I was lucky to get a day when the
river was its traditional brown. Since the Glen Canyon dam went into
operation in 1964 much of the time the river runs green/blue which is
not its historic appearance.

Paul