Sender:Philo
Date/Time:2000-May-28 16:30:36
Subject:Re: Tripod cap

proj-imim: Re: Tripod cap Philo 2000-May-28 16:30:36
Hi Ronny,

I read with much interest your nice tripod cap tutorial... As said Gummy, I
tend
to use the extract/apply technique to correct zenith-nadir problems, but
your method works for sure ! Just a point : if you use "rotate 180°" instead
of  "flip vertical", you don't have to flip your logo, it is only rotated in
the final image, not mirrored...

Perhaps you could also mention the quick and dirty method to generate a
tripod cap : simply put a colored band in the bottom of your image, if
needed add your title/copyright at the top of the band in wide lettering
(this is the technique I used in the panoramas samples of my PanoBot page).
Not fancy, but fast !!!

Your sentence about re-utilisation of caps with shadows made me think a
while... and I think I found a solution :
I begin with step 11 of your tutorial. Generate the distorted cap as in step
12, then go back to the unflattened image of step 11. Fill the background in
white and get back the selection of the cap layer. Move that selection a few
pixels (offset of the shadow) then fill it in black in the background layer.
Remove all layer but the background, which contains a white square with a
slightly offset black circle. Apply again the step12 remap. You endup with a
two layer image, the first containing the cap as a rectangular strip , the
second a wavy band that will become the shadow. In the cap layer, select all
but the cap band and press suppress. Go to the shadow layer, select the
black wavy band with the magic wand and suppress the layer. Feather the
selection (10 pixels or so, depends on the size) to get a smooth shadow.
Create a new layer below the cap layer and fill the selection with black.
Merge the two layers, adjust orientation and size and voila, you have a
ready to paste, shadow integrated cap...

In the final image, before flattening, you can adjust the position of the
shadow at the opposite of the main light source by using
filter>others>translation with wrap around option.

I'd like to put a link on your tutorial at the end of my stitching
instructions, what URL should I include ?

Bye for now,

Philo

http://philohome.free.fr