Sender:Steven McQuinn
Date/Time:2000-Jul-08 20:17:46
Subject:Re: Inserting text in panoramic images

proj-imim: Re: Inserting text in panoramic images Steven McQuinn 2000-Jul-08 20:17:46
Helmut Dersch wrote:
>I have set up a tutorial page about how to edit
>panoramic images (inserting text or images) using
>Panorama Tools. See
><http://www.fh-furtwangen.de/~dersch/pedit/panoediting.html>

Helmut,

I'm grateful for this tutorial, as it anticipates a question in my mind
about adjusting the proper perspective when superimposing a rendered 3D
object with a background panorama.

I'm assuming that Photoshop's masking tools are functional while in Panorama
Tools.

It will be awhile longer before I've an example to show. My work-around in
Carrara entails almost 1000 lights, each individually adjusted, to provide
quasi-diffuse illumination of a panorama that is mapped to a sphere in the
transparency channel of the sphere's shader. Thus, any point on the surface
of a 3D object positioned within the interior of the wrapped sphere will
receive light from whatever parts of the panorama can be raytraced to that
surface point. (This is what global illumination means, a very different
concept than simple projection.)

I've confirmed the feasibility of the concept using flat images, but
constructing and adjusting an all-around array is quite a bit more complex.
Other 3D applications will probably allow the same technique I'm using. But
with Lightwave 6, a superior result could be accomplished with a few clicks.

When merging a rendered 3D object that matches the illumination of a
panorama, there is a catch. If merged with the same panorama used for
illumination, the 3D object should be placed in the near foreground, as its
lighting would not be valid for distant placement. Of course, one could
create a separate panoramic "light probe" specific for the position where a
3D object will be placed.

For those of you who would like to create panoramic "light probes" here is a
link for further reference:
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~debevec/Probes/

SMcQ