Sender:Robert Malden
Date/Time:2000-Sep-15 08:22:50
Subject:Re: proj-imim-digest V1 #100

proj-imim: Re: proj-imim-digest V1 #100 Robert Malden 2000-Sep-15 08:22:50
--- proj-imim-digest
<#removed#> wrote:

> proj-imim-digest     Wednesday, September 13 2000
>  Volume 01 : Number 100

> Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 09:39:20 +0100
> From: Helmut Dersch <#removed#>
> Subject: Re: Must Tilt Axis Be Centered?
>
> Doug Brightwell wrote:
> >
> > When tilting up or down to shoot additional rows
> in a pano, is it important
> > whether or not the center axis of the tilt is
> aligned dead center over the
> > tripod's center post?
> >
> > I was considering a Manfrotto geared head but
> noticed that while the pan
> > axis is centered, the tilt axis is a bit forward
> of the center post. When
> > you tilt down, the camera not only pitches down,
> but also pitches forward.
> >
> > Is that a problem?
> >

> Doug
>
> it introduces errors due to the parallax effect. The
> magnitude
> of the error and whether it is a problem depends on
> the scene.
> Close objects cause more problems.
>
> Helmut Dersch
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 12:52:37 -0700
> From: John Blommers <#removed#>
> Subject: PTPicker 2.1 features
>
> Dear Helmut,
>
> Thanks for the fixing the memory problem with the
> new PTPicker 2.1
> Now it works with my large images :-)
>
> Some very key features in this version of PTPicker
> are missing.
> No longer will the other image pan automatically to
> the point
> just selected  in the current image. Ouch, this
> hurts when
> stitching big pictures and I  hope you will will
> find time to
> return this feature. It is a valuable ease-of-use
> feature.
>
> The keyboard shortcut (command F) for finding a
> point is missing.
> Ouch again. When bringing it up from the menu, the
> box shows a
> leading zero, which you almost always have to
> backspace over to
> enter a point number. This has always been a major
> inconvenience.
> Other keyboard shortcuts are also missing in this
> version.
> I hope you will find time to tweak the code.
>
> It's great to have a cross-platform version of this
> toolkit!
>
> - - John
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 10:20:21 +0100
> From: Helmut Dersch <#removed#>
> Subject: Re: PanoTools 2.1
>
> Richard Moore wrote:
> >

> > When I try running ptpicker, I get the following
> error messages:
> >
> > 1. Could not load library pano12
> > I got this in spite of the fact that libpano12.so
> is in /usr/lib and
> > /usr/lib is in $LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
> >
> > 2. Font specified in font.properties not found

[--symbol-medium-r-normal--*-%d-*-*-p-*-adobe-fontspecific]
> [...]
> > Exception occurred during event dispatching:
> > java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: CCreateProject
>
> PTPicker uses the java native interface (jni) which
> supports
> linking of java code to native libraries. None of
> the Sun examples
> uses jni so it will not show up by testing these.
> 'CCreateProject'
> is a native function in libpano12.so, and the java
> error is a consequence
> of not finding the library.
>
> May I suggest to test the standalone program
> 'PTStitcher' or one
> of the other programs with one of the examples from
> my website.
> They all use the same library 'libpano12.so', and if
> they don't
> run, the error is due to not being able to access
> it. It may be
> that the library is not compatible among different
> linux-versions,
> any help from Linux experts is appreciated.
>
> Btw: You may get one error message in the console
> window
> 'Unable to load libpano12.lib.so' which you can
> ignore.
> The library has different names on Mac/Win/Linux,
> and PTPicker
> attempts to load them all. Although the
> corresponding error
> message is suppressed in the java code, it
> nevertheless
> shows up in the Linux version.
>
> Helmut Dersch
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 01:21:21 -0700
> From: Doug Brightwell <#removed#>
> Subject: Re: Must Tilt Axis Be Centered?
>
> on 9/12/00 1:39 AM, Helmut Dersch at
> #removed# wrote:
>
> > it introduces errors due to the parallax effect.
> The magnitude
> > of the error and whether it is a problem depends
> on the scene.
> > Close objects cause more problems.
>
> The more I thought it through, I realized that
> tilting down causes the nodal
> point of the lens to pitch forward and away from the
> pan axis with _every_
> tripod head. The only difference is how much.
>
> Many pan/tilt heads have the tilt "hinged" at a
> point just forward of the
> center post, and after visualizing that tilting
> movement, I'm now wondering
> if that doesn't actually result in less forward
> displacement of the lens
> that the designs that are "hinged" over the center
> post and a couple or
> three inches under the base plate.
>
> I guess the trick is to pick the pan/tilt head
> design that causes the least
> forward displacement of the camera, knowing that
> _all heads_ cause _some_
> displacement?
>
> Anybody know of any pan/tilt heads that eliminate
> this problem? Maybe for
> cameras like the Nikon CoolPix, there's some kid of
> yoke cradle that rotates
> both pan and tilt around the nodal point axis, but

=== message truncated ===

   Is there a place I can go to read this "proj-imim-
digest" as opposed to it filling up my email capacity?

http://mail.yahoo.com/