Sender:Roger D. Williams
Date/Time:2006-Jun-07 04:06:27
Subject:Re: newbie? q

PanoTools: Re: newbie? q Roger D. Williams 2006-Jun-07 04:06:27
On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 10:17:47 +0900, wblakesx
<#removed#> wrote:

>    I made some cylindical panos afew years back, but I
> couldn't figure how get the
> 'value added' software to do some of the tricks I
> wanted it to do, I tried the sample Live Stage Pro and
> didn't like it's price to clunk ratio and QTVRAS isn't
> available anymore, so I've been prowling some forums.
>   All I see is cubic and fisheye. I was most
> interested in cyindrical for it's info
> density/resolution, but now I see fisheyed guys doing
> stuff like Craigs:
>        shots every 45 degrees (8 around) 3 rows,
> level, 60 deg. up and 60 deg down. Thats 24 total,
> more shots but you cover the zenith and nadir for no
> patching later. ;
>    Have I been missing the ball entirely with
> sphericals? Why them in such profusion  in forums and
> No cylindricals ( lots of cubics)? What is the state of the art for
> high rez panos?

Hi, Newbie! (from an ex-Newbie, recent graduate).

Although this particular mailing list is strongly oriented to
immersive panoramas, the full 360 x 180 degrees, I must confess
that I have a soft spot for cylindrical panoramas, too. On the
other hand, I have found that a rotary camera is THE ideal way
to create them. I use a hand-made Voyageur rotary camera, and
find that a 28mm lens used with 120 film, giving an image that
is reasonably sharp right out to 52 or 53mm if I use a smaller
aperture (say no larger than F/11), gives well-balanced
panoramas without a lot of unnecessary headroom. It is actually
quite rare for an immersive panorama to have a lot of really
meaningful imagery in the top and bottom 10 degrees of the
FOV, although it DOES happen and is unbeatable when it does.

Two or three of my cylindrical panoramas were selected to
demonstrate the capability of the Voyageur. Try Google... I
don't recall the URL and don't have it here at the office.

It is also possible to prepare cylindrical panoramas by
stitching, and PTgui (my favourite tool) will also do this. As
the Voyageur is rather heavier and more troublesome to use
than my all-manual Bessaflex with fisheye lenses (either
full frame or rectangular), my Voyageur is seeing less usage
these days. But it certainly is a LOT simpler when it comes
to post processing!

Roger W.

--
Work: www.adex-japan.com, Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger