Sender:Eric O'Brien
Date/Time:2007-Jul-18 00:30:15
Subject:Re: Switched to Mac and am a bit lost

PanoTools NG: Re: Switched to Mac and am a bit lost Eric O'Brien 2007-Jul-18 00:30:15
On Jul 17, 2007, at 9:30 AM, jdmb00 wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have used panotools for almost 3 years now (using PTGui and PTMender
> as engine lately), but since I switched from PC to Mac I can't seem to
> find the software I have gotten so used to.
>
> I'm aware that Kekus provides PTMac for OSX, but my PTGui license lets
> me use PTGui also on my Mac. I'm glad that the interface is more or
> less identical to the PC one.
>
> But I have a problem with the stitching engine. I have by now figured
> out that the engine should be called panotools.bundle. Unfortunately,
> this doesn't say much about the actual stitching engine in the bundle.
> Is tehre a way to figure out what's inside a bundle?

There is, but in this case it doesn't tell you much.  Inside of
PanoTools.bundle is (among other things, a file named PanoTools, with
a creation date of August 12, 2006.  There is no version info with
this file.

To see inside:  if you have a two button mouse (which, by the way,
work just fine on Macs nowadays!) right-click, otherwise Control-
click on the bundle to access the contextual menu.  Choose "Show
Package Contents."

> The PTGui site states that it provides a bundle based on version 2.8.0
> of pano12. That's still PTStitcher as far as I can tell, not PTMender.
>
> There is also a panotools.bundle available in the trial version of
> PTMac on the Kekus web site. This unfortunately doesn't say anything
> about the stitching engine used.
>
> If anyone has a reliable PTMender available for OSX, I'd be most
> grateful to share it.

One version is supposedly included with Hugin, but I can't actually
locate it at the moment.  :(

> Clear (idiot-proof) instructions for building my own bundle from the
> source code would be welcome too. (I have no experience with this, but
> would like to learn.)

Instructions from compiling from source are at <http://
panotools.sourceforge.net/>

But they are a bit terse and I haven't been able to get it to work (I
am not a programmer either).

Out of curiosity, why not just use the stitcher built-in to PTGui?