Sender:Carl von Einem
Date/Time:2009-Dec-18 15:26:52
Subject:Re: early scanning backs (was: 425 Megapixel VR shot ...)

PanoTools NG: Re: early scanning backs (was: 425 Megapixel VR shot ...) Carl von Einem 2009-Dec-18 15:26:52
The abstract of that US only patent says that it is about a single pass
scanning back for a view camera. So that maybe makes the Betterlight the
first scanning back camera in the US.

The more compact Rollei and the other solution I worked with used a
three pass scan array connected via SCSI which still makes me doubt that
Betterlight was the inventor of scanning backs for cameras if you accept
development outside the USA.

<http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Franke_&amp;_Heidecke>
"1991 Rollei enters digital photography with the Rollei Digital Scan
Pack for the Rolleiflex 6008."
An image is on <http://www.digicamhistory.com/1991.html>
-> ROLLEI Digital ScanPack – 1991

BTW for that scanning device we used a really nice scan software called
Cirrus from Canto. Sadly Canto gave up on Cirrus after their newer
project Cumulus found a bigger market.

The only other really different scanning technology (for photography) I
know of was used in Kontron's ProgRes 3012 which hit the market in 1996:
<http://www.progres-camera.com/microscope-camera/digital-camera-jenoptik....>

Not a camera back, though, but also a great device to work with! It
needed to be attached to a special card (it was the time of those Mac
clones so that already was a PCI card inside that strange Umax SuperMac).

Carl

Posted by: "bohonus"