Sender:Carl von Einem
Date/Time:2010-Feb-04 17:08:01
Subject:Re: 16bit Panotools Plugin for OS X?

PanoTools NG: Re: 16bit Panotools Plugin for OS X? Carl von Einem 2010-Feb-04 17:08:01
I am also interested in a Mac OS X version of the panotools plug-ins
that works on systems above 10.5 with 16bit files.
As an alternative, would this work using some command line application
or The GIMP? I'm ready to use a Ubuntu system, that's just so easy to
install on Macs.

Posted by: "Michel THOBY" #removed# enbilaman

> The Kekus Panotools Plugin seem to work fine with PS CS4 Extended on
> MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - OS 10.5.8.
> I've just made some health test runs with a 10320x5160 16-bits TIF.
> FYI the date of creation of the four .plugin package files appears to
> be 3 Dec 2007.

So it's really not an Intel problem but 10.6 seems to be the barrier for us.

>> > Message De : "rvHD"
>> >
>> > +1
>> > So we are at least 3.
>> > My favorite filter is adjust to edit pano-nadir and Remap to change
>> > regular fisheye images.

I also mostly use Adjust to extract and later insert rectilinear
portions of my equirects.

>> > Le 4 f?. 10 ?2:18, Hans a ?it :

Good hint. So I better keep that G5 running (I should try to switch to
that 10.5 installation on my other HD, though). My plugins identify as
v24 (in the dialog titles).

I wonder if these problems with reopening images you all describe here
are caused by the *.plugins or by the panotools.bundle?

Good to have a nice alternative software available :-)
To speed things up you could choose less advanced interpolators. Using
the same interpolators that were available at the time the panotools
plug-ins were built it shouldn't differ that much. Do you want quality
or speed if you have the choice?

OK, I tried it: both transformations need about the same time (60
seconds) on my G5 for a 16bit 10k x 5k equirect.
pano2vr uses Blackman/sinc
Adjust uses Sinc 256 Pixels
I didn't stop the time it needs to open&configure the plug-in vs. load
the image&configure pano2vr. But then, I also have to load the equirect
in Photoshop.

The resulting images give an almost black image as sandwiched layers
when compared in difference mode.

> Posted by: "bohonus"
>> > So you most probably want to use Shear from the Correct plug-in, right?
> Actually, I need the "Radial Shift" element of the plug-in. Partially for
> correcting images shot with the 24mm Mamiya fisheye. See the following
> link for a description-
> http://www.all-in-one.ee/~dersch/pscan/pscan.html
>
> I have other software specifically designed to do the above, however it
> would be more helpful for my workflow if I can do it in photoshop.
> The other reason why I use the Radial Correct function is to correct for
> CA (which is only in the vertical direction). More so when using the
> fisheye, much less when using the other lenses that I have for the camera.

Let's hope that the next version of Photoshop for Mac can really use
some more RAM and a helpful programmer brings us the next generation of
the panotools plugins. PanoToolsNG.plugin maybe? :-)

Carl