Sender:Roger Howard
Date/Time:2004-Sep-14 00:40:06
Subject:Re: Re: Length of Roll Printouts on 1280

PanoTools: Re: Re: Length of Roll Printouts on 1280 Roger Howard 2004-Sep-14 00:40:06
On Sep 13, 2004, at 12:31 PM, Erik Krause wrote:

> On 13 Sep 2004 at 16:29, erwinsmarfingerfeulcher wrote:
>
>> I have a windows machine running XP Pro. Trying to print panos on
>> roll paper (using PSCS/Print preview or InDesignCS) I see to run into
>> a wall, which varies. The driver seems to suggest that about 10 feet
>> is doable-but I get stoppage in as little as 18 inches. Driver is set
>> to custom length (which is specified), roll paper and the "don't
>> waste paper" option.
>
> This is a bug in PSCS (and apparently in InDesign too) that is
> discussed in the adobe photoshop forum at the moment. But I fear
> Adobe won't move and fix this until the next version (if ever). Would
> be nice you would complain there too...
>
> As a workaround you can use IrfanView (f.e.) for printing.

There may be such a bug in Photoshop, but the 44" limitation on the
1280 was advertised by Epson and, like other such limitations, always
seemed a marketing one not tied to Photoshop. Likewise, my new R800 is
limited to 23.4" long prints on roll paper, though clearly that's an
arbitrary limitation designed to force me to upgrade.

Some RIPs specifically work around these limitations, but that's
because they bypass the mfg's driver (where the limitation is).

So, though maybe IrfanView has its own driver for 1280's (?) and can
work around this, the specific limitation of 44" on the 1280 has
nothing to do with Photoshop (CS or any other version).

QImage on Windows is an excellent way to bypass these limitations, I'm
quite sure it can do unlimited roll prints on the 1280.

-R

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/.Cr1lB/TM