Sender:jeffrey
Date/Time:2005-Oct-27 13:09:05
Subject:Re: dynamic exposure?

PanoTools: Re: dynamic exposure? jeffrey 2005-Oct-27 13:09:05
on the topic of "dynamic exposure --

i want a "rapid fire exposure stack" setting on my camera :)

Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 22:56:34 -0700
From: Pat Swovelin <#removed#>
Subject: Re: RE: dynamic exposure?

Michael Forster wrote:

>RE: non-destructive read-out of CMOS.
>
>Just how fast can an 8mpx colour array be read out?  I am surprised
that it can be done at 1/500 sec.  and cached.  Nice though if it can
be done.  I guess that is the basis of movie cameras ?  or do they
have some sort of physical complexity not present in a standard
camera..

Assuming you're running a digital motion picture camera (e.g., a 24P) at
normal speed (24 fps) the read time for the chip is 1/24 sec. but
because the chip is only exposed to the light coming through the lens
every 1/2 of that time (by the light passing a rotating semi-circular
mirror) the real time the chip is exposed is 1/48 sec.  If the camera is
being overcranked (i.e., run faster than normal) then the chip's read
time is consequently reduced although digital cameras can't be
overcranked like film cameras can (e.g., 120 fps is not uncommon, I've
shot at 200 fps several times) so the read time is still relatively high.

The problem isn't the read time of the chip but the sheer volume of data
being captured that must be recorded accurately.  There's a whole new
class of technician that handles that function (among others) and makes
sure the camera is set up correctly per the Director of Photography's
vision of that particular project (e.g., film, commercial, TV show, etc.).

>My interest is piqued since there would be some motion between the
top of frame and the bottom also in that the top-of-frame (if it was
read in that direction) and the bottom would be read at different
times for objects in motion unless the time to read it was << 1/500
sec. Hence one would have a  different part of the frame exposed
differently..  sort of ...

http://us.click.yahoo.com/T8sf5C/tzNLAA/TtwFAA/.Cr1lB/TM