Sender:Roger Howard
Date/Time:2006-May-25 18:55:29
Subject:Re: Re: PanoTools Funding Options

PanoTools: Re: Re: PanoTools Funding Options Roger Howard 2006-May-25 18:55:29

On Thursday, May 25, 2006, at 09:33AM, Kevin Kratzke <#removed#> wrote:

>OK  I think we have discussed this topic enough for this funding
>period for panotools.info.  Let us all take a step back and support
>the panotools.info site if you desire or not if you don't.  At this
>point I think everyone's opinions are well entrenched.

I think it's a shame that these issues can be raised, but as soon as the community begins to discuss it we get nothing but defensiveness from John and then unilateral declarations that the thread is over until the next time he needs money; rinse, repeat.

I'm not entrenched in any opinion other than that we have an important topic here that has not been resolved, and continues without transparency or willingness to discuss. Folks have offered nothing but constructive suggestions here and in initially (at least) respectful tones, including donations of money and services, and are met by hostility and obfuscation of the issues and real needs. I can guarantee you we're not using $2000/yr in hosting resources, and why Jon wants to budget in such a way is very suspect - on the surface it makes it harder for him to meet his funding goals for no benefit to him or the community, and that alone would seem to be cause for him to take the advice here on hosting costs.

Why don't we spin off the discussion elsewhere if you don't want to drag the list down - I understand that - as I think it's still an important conversation.

The tone of the conversation so far has not at all been in the spirit of cooperation or openness. Unilaterally shutting it down just adds to that impression. I don't take any suggestions about splitting the community seriously - that's not an option at this point, IMHO - we need to preserve it, and the best way to do that is to resolve these valid concerns, not resort to name-calling.

-R

http://us.click.yahoo.com/DHchtC/3FxNAA/yQLSAA/.Cr1lB/TM