Sender:Roger Howard
Date/Time:2006-Jun-07 21:44:45
Subject:Re: Rainy day so we tried a car.

PanoTools: Re: Rainy day so we tried a car. Roger Howard 2006-Jun-07 21:44:45

On Wednesday, June 07, 2006, at 12:21PM, Mark Banas (lists) <#removed#> wrote:

>A couple of other tricks: put white sheets over the windows and then
>shoot a nice "outdoor" pano and mix the two in photoshop so it looks
>like the car is in the outdoor location. (Helps if you have studio
>lights outside the sheets providing similar lighting.) I also know
>some folks put small lights under the seats in dark colored car
>interiors to brighten up the footwells. Roger Howard would be the guy
>to ask about this stuff... he was there doing this stuff in the heyday!

I also had access to gear I can not afford anymore, and people doing all the hard work! :) In fact, Bo is far more an expect on cars than I am.

That said, yes a few key points:

- Cars have windows - use them! Sunroofs too!
- A rotator on the end of a boom arm, or a fixed pano head (like the BoPhoto clamp I'm using a lot these days) on a boom that can freely rotate.
- Alignment is absolutely critical. Don't bother to do a car shoot until you can shoot a pano upright with subject matter ranging from 6 inches to 4 feet with no significant stitching errors. A 360Precision head isn't necessary (maybe not even ideal) but you'll need to be capable of very accurate stitching to not go crazy.
- Repeatable positioning will be needed so you can full nadir coverage - tripod caps on car interiors aren't ideal - people *do* want to look at the console, armrests, etc.
- Use a fisheye, for god's sake! The fewer the shots the better!
- Get a PanoScan... really :)

http://us.click.yahoo.com/.7bhrC/MGxNAA/yQLSAA/.Cr1lB/TM

<*> PanoTools List Reader @ GMane:
    http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.graphics.panotools